Change font size
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 70   [ 696 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: The Domestic Audio/HiFi/Home Theatre Thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:58 am 

I Say: Nowhere near as much as I used to!
Vehicle: Gone but not forgotten-MY08 XT

So... I know there are a few domestic audio heads out there (and a few genuine audio nerds!)

Spill the beans!

What have you got? What floats your boat? Are you into new gear or do you treasure your older/vintage stuff? Are you a 0's and 1's kind of person, or do you like it all analogue and wave-like?

If you see anything interesting floating about on the used market (ebay and whatnot) post it here!

Personally, I love the older stuff. I'm a firm believer that a quality set of older speakers and a decent amp/receiver can blow the vast majority of commercial systems out of the water.

I was using an old early 70's Onkyo amp for aaages until one channel died. It was a low powered amp (rated at perhaps 10-15WRMS/channel but it drove most small speakers really well (quite grunty).

The Onkyo has since been replaced with an awesome late 70's Sansui AU-417 (thanks to Capo!) which really is streets ahead of the Onkyo in terms of sound quality. It's as though there's extra layers in the music that I never previously heard. I love it to bits! You would never know that it's a 30 year old design - the layout is just so clean. Capo kept it in great nick too. It came up great with a quick once-over.

Speaker-wise, my big daddies are a pair of Realistic Mach 1 speakers from the late 70's (the original 40-4024a series). 15" woofers, horn midrange and tweeter. They certainly aren't audiophile-grade speakers, but by God they sound great to my ears, and can go VERY loud with the right amp (they are rated at 160WRMS, but I've had a genuine 250WRMS up their kazoo and they took it comfortably). They are just so dynamic with the right music, yet can also sound quite laid-back when required.

They are just too big to sit in the house permanently though - the spend most of their life in storage, with the occasional listening session for old time's sake. I'll have to wait until we get a bigger house in future (can anyone say boy's toy room / listening room? hehe)

My normal listening speakers would make you cringe - a pair of DSE (yes... tricky dicky!) bookshelf speakers from a few years back. These are seriously great bang for buck - I got them on sale for $40 half-price. These (and their later incarnations) have quite a following amongst guys who are after quality sound on a shoe-string budget. The latest versions are even better, and represent great buying at $85/pair. Don't knock it until you've tried it! ;) They are actually quite good as home theatre speakers too.

Home theatre-wise, there's not much to write home about. Panasonic home-theatre-in-a-box (mainly due to space contstraints) and a Hitachi plasma.

Post subject: Re: The Domestic Audio/HiFi/Home Theatre Thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:05 am 

I Say: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
Vehicle: 03XS Auto-Red;Mercedes Valente

This is definately one area where you get what you pay for doesn't necessarily apply.

It is possible to get excellent results by choosing the right system components to compliment the setup you're aiming for.

Good to hear I'm not the only audiophile here. :oops:

The Red Dragon's Dyno Sheet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 am 

Vehicle: *GONE* STI II Type M - 51E

Nice Pete. Will post up some details soon. Have lent my stuff to a mate, as most was just sitting in the garage. Will have to do some research to see what I had!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:43 pm 

I Say: Needs more positive manifold pressure.
Vehicle: MY01 S/tb - MY01 STi II Type M

I have been planning on getting a decent 2.1 home set up for years. All my money seems to dissapear into car audio however.

I love old vintage amps. Great bang for your buck.

At the moment I have a DSE 2x80WRMS integrated stereo amp, a set of DSE Tower speakers. And a Jaycar 80WRMS plate amp for a sub I am yet to buy.

MY01 GT -Unfinished Project

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:01 pm 

Vehicle: 2001 - there is Nooooo Turbo

wow, i didn't think there were that many audiophiles round!
if you're nice i'll introduce you all to an old mate Neville Thiele!

Bits For Sale
Pimp your Stereo | Bits and Pieces

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:20 pm 

I Say: Nowhere near as much as I used to!
Vehicle: Gone but not forgotten-MY08 XT

Chips wrote:
I love old vintage amps. Great bang for your buck.

Oh yes indeed!

Chips wrote:
At the moment I have a DSE 2x80WRMS integrated stereo amp, a set of DSE Tower speakers. And a Jaycar 80WRMS plate amp for a sub I am yet to buy.

The DSE stuff is pretty good bang for buck eh? Those 2 x 80WRMS have a nice big torriodial transformer and are reasonable build quality too.

It's funny - I seem to get more enjoyment out of old/cheap gear which sometimes surprises me with the sound quality vs top brands which you'd expect and hope to sound OK (and they sometimes disappoint!). I guess I like the audio underdogs of the world ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:48 pm 

I Say: Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.
Vehicle: '11 S-Edition - '91 Liberty LX

We've got a Denon amp and sound processor (5.1 old school) and set of KEF KHT2005.3.

When we moved into the house the previous owners were too lazy to remove their Bose cubes from the ceiling so I have a pair of those too.

The Kef subwoofer died a while back so it's been replaced with a response 12" unit that is every bit as good as the Kef.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:15 pm 

I Say: So these two chicks were sitting quietly, minding their own business...
Vehicle: MY05 XTL 5MT

I'm big on the Denon stuff in terms of New. Have a nice 7.1 setup for the TV Room.

I have the PC hooked up to a Pioneer SA-610. That's powering a pair 4x12" Eminar FOH speakers. I'm so jealous of that Sansui Pete!

Will post some pics and details up soon.

Couldn't care less.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 pm 

Vehicle: Tommi Makinen

Here's my set up. Apologies for the crappy pics.

Samsung 50" Plasma
Samsung Blu-ray Player
Samsung DVD Player
Yamaha RV-463 AV Receiver
Klipsch Synergy Quintet III 5.1 surround sound

..I think this system is good bang for buck. The mrs wouldn't allow tower speakers but I'm impressed by the Klipsch satellites :thumbs:

Cheers
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:29 pm 

I my bedroom i have a lg 5:1 system annd lg 37inch plasma, running my computer and ps3 and xbox 360

Not the most expensive systme but could not have much more in my room

In time when i build my house i planning on my own threatre room then my system will be mad:)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 70   [ 696 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next